Saturday, May 28, 2011

Last Hurrah

4 weeks left in Eldoret and I still don't think I've accepted the fact that this wonderful year will be coming to an end very soon. At least the people around me are paying attention so they planned one last longtermer trip last weekend.

We headed to Hell's Gate National Park and Mt Longonot. I've been looking forward to this trip all year since it's known as one of the best weekend trips if you live in the Eldoret area.

Why is that?
Well, Hell's Gate National Park does not have any lions or leopards so people are allowed to walk and/or bike through the park. I doubt that there are too many other places in the world where you can bike next to zebras, ostriches, buffalo, warthogs, etc.
We biked about 5 miles to a gorge and then hiked for about 1.5 hours through the gorge.

Giraffe!




Trying to get up close and personal with the zebras...


The gorge




Jump!


On Sunday, we climbed Mt Longonot which is a dormant volcano that last erupted in the mid 1800s. The hike up to the crater rim took about 1 hour and then we hiked the entire crater rim loop which took about 2.5 hours.

The rim of the crater...




The peak of the crater in the background



More Pictures

No comments:

Post a Comment