The same Easter egg making family from last week had also asked me to make Ukrainian food with them before they leave Kenya on Sunday. Since I've never actually made pierogies on my own from scratch, I figured this would be a perfect time to start!
My mom sent me the family recipe and luckily we had all of the ingredients. They were a great success!
Here are some pictures...

potatoes, onions and cheese...yuuum

one of my wonderful little helpers

this was my favorite part as a kid

folding

Almost done

Voila!

The Kenyan cooks asked what we were making, and when I told them 'pierogies' they looked totally confused. So I explained that pierogies are the Ukrainian equivalent of Kenyan ugali (ugali is a staple food in East Africa made from maize or cassava flour). They seemed to like this explanation because there isn't a Kenyan out there who doesn't love ugali. I guess every country has it's own beloved staple starch!
No comments:
Post a Comment