Friday, April 22, 2011

A Ukrainian Easter in Kenya

One of the long termers and her 4 children love Easter and they had asked me last December if I could introduce them to Ukrainian Easter egg making. I brought the supplies back from the states in January and earlier this week we had a wonderful arts and crafts afternoon!

I have not made Ukrainian Easter eggs since middle school and wow did this bring me back. Everything from holding the stylus over the candle to the smell of the beeswax made me remember the many years of Ukrainian school, Ukrainian girlscouts, and Ukrainian church. It also made me feel grateful for the traditions, language, and sense of community my family instilled in me so early on (often against my will!!).

Here are some pictures of the finished products!

my egg...I was and never will be very artistic :)


My friend's egg...isn't it beautiful?? I told her that Ukrainian Babchias everwhere would be thrilled with this.


All of our creations.


Happy Easter!!

3 comments:

  1. what the what! that is amazing! you can come to alabama next easter and teach me how to do that, k?

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are absolutely beautiful Daria! I had no idea Ukrainian Easter eggs were so unique! Miss you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Easter Eggs are Beautiful! Happy Easter Daria. Alicia

    ReplyDelete