Waiting room with 40 patients? Sorry, we are having chai!
Need to quickly pick up something? Yup, you'll have to wait until after chai!
8 months ago the chai phenomenon made me crazy. And I mean, rip my hair out of my head, CRAZY.
How can you leave all of those patients in the hallway while you all take a 30 minute tea break 1.5 hours before the 1hr lunch break?? Where is the sense of responsibility?
I sometimes asked...did you know that in the US we sometimes miss lunch completely or just eat on the run if we have a lot of patients??? (blank stares and jaw drops followed)
Fast forward 8 months later and wow have things changed. I LOVE chai break! I have come to respect this tasty and relaxing cultural tradition. The Kenyan chai is made with lots of milk and way too much sugar...just enough to give you an extra energy boost until lunch. Pair it with a mandazi (a sort of donut) or a beef samosa and life is perfect.
Yes, there are still some workers who choose to have a chai break that's just a little too long (eg when a chai break runs right into the lunch hour...). However, I think that some Americans could definitely benefit from a chai break - or maybe a proper 1 hour lunch break - on a regular basis. It's good for the brain to just stop for a few minutes, sip some sugary goodness, and reflect on the day! Here's to bringing chai break back to the states with me!!
My chai and samosa yesterday in the office. My desk is the one directly behind the thermoses.
No comments:
Post a Comment